Harvey Weinstein rape charge proceedings in New York took a decisive turn Thursday after Manhattan prosecutors moved to drop the third-degree rape count tied to Jessica Mann, the accuser who said she would not testify in a fourth trial.
XOOMAR Intelligence
Analyst Take
The request followed a May mistrial in Weinstein’s third New York state trial, where jurors failed to reach a unanimous verdict on Mann’s allegation, according to Guardian World. The Associated Press reported that the judge formally dismissed the charge Thursday after Mann said she could not endure another round of testimony.
Manhattan prosecutors move to drop Harvey Weinstein rape charge after accuser declines fourth trial
The Manhattan district attorney’s office, led by Alvin Bragg, told the court that Mann had already testified before two grand juries and three trial juries, calling the process an “extraordinarily taxing ordeal.”
Mann accused Weinstein of raping her in a Manhattan hotel room in 2013 while she resisted and repeatedly said: “No.” Weinstein, 74, had pleaded not guilty to one count of third-degree rape and has denied assaulting anyone or having non-consensual sex.
The dismissed count was the unresolved piece of Weinstein’s New York rape case after years of litigation, reversals and deadlocked juries. His first New York conviction in 2020 included the Mann rape count and a sexual assault conviction involving Miriam Haley, a one-time production assistant.
New York’s highest court later overturned that conviction after concluding Weinstein did not get a fair trial. Prosecutors retried him, but the Mann allegation did not produce a unanimous verdict.
The latest mistrial in May set up what would have been a fourth trial focused on the same rape allegation. Mann declined.
“After a lot of thought and reflection, I have chosen not to proceed with a fourth trial against Harvey Weinstein,” Mann wrote in a letter read in court, according to AP. “It was clear to me at this last trial I could no longer endure going through this any longer.”
Jessica Mann’s refusal to testify reshapes Weinstein’s New York legal case
The practical effect is stark: without Mann on the stand again, prosecutors had little room to keep pursuing the Harvey Weinstein rape charge in New York.
That is XOOMAR analysis, but it follows directly from the record prosecutors described. The case depended on an accuser who had already testified repeatedly, faced cross-examination across multiple proceedings and told the court she could not continue.
AP reported that Mann, 40, testified for five days in the most recent trial. She was also questioned about a diary-like note written two days after the alleged rape, which did not mention the allegation. At one point, she said she was struggling to focus, and court ended early for the day.
Prosecutor Nicole Blumberg said prosecutors believed Mann and praised her “bravery, strength, courage and inspiration” to other survivors, but said that given Mann’s position, “dismissal is appropriate.”
Weinstein’s side welcomed the outcome. A representative said Thursday that Weinstein was relieved and believed the charge never should have been brought. Defense lawyer Jacob Kaplan said: “The interests of justice would have never been to bring this case at all.”
The dropped count does not erase the wider Weinstein record.
Guardian World reported that more than 80 women have accused Weinstein of sexual harassment or misconduct, allegations he denies. AP reported that he remains convicted of another sexual felony in New York and of crimes in California.
For readers tracking how testimony, procedure and appellate rulings can alter high-profile cases, XOOMAR has also covered court-driven outcomes in Supreme Court Blocks Damages Over Rastafarian Dreadlocks and the international legal ordeal described in Son Escapes, French Woman Rescued in Pakistan Ordeal.
Weinstein still faces major legal exposure despite the New York dismissal
The dismissal narrows Weinstein’s New York case, but it does not free him from prison.
Bragg’s office said it asked the court to sentence Weinstein to 20 years in prison for sexually assaulting Miriam Haley. That New York conviction remains central to the immediate court fight, even after the Harvey Weinstein rape charge tied to Mann was dropped.
AP also reported that the dismissed rape count was a lower-level felony punishable by up to four years in prison, less time than Weinstein has already served. The more serious exposure now sits with the remaining New York conviction and Weinstein’s separate California conviction.
Weinstein’s legal position now splits into three tracks:
| Case track | Current status from supplied sources | Immediate significance |
|---|---|---|
| Jessica Mann rape count | Prosecutors moved to drop it, and AP reported the judge dismissed it Thursday | Ends the path toward a fourth trial on that count |
| Miriam Haley New York conviction | Bragg’s office asked for a 20-year sentence | Becomes the main New York sentencing issue |
| California conviction | Weinstein remains convicted in another case | Keeps him behind bars regardless of the dismissed New York rape count |
The courtroom optics underlined the long arc of the case. AP reported Weinstein had a neutral expression as officers led him out in a wheelchair. During the most recent trial’s jury deliberations, he reported chest pains, prompting another early end to court.
The next fight shifts from retrial risk to sentencing
The immediate watch item is sentencing in New York, especially Bragg’s request for 20 years on the Haley conviction.
The deeper issue is what the dismissal says about retrying sexual assault cases after appellate reversals and hung juries. Prosecutors can still believe an accuser, but the system requires that person to keep carrying the burden of testimony. Mann said she could not.
That leaves the Harvey Weinstein rape charge dismissed, the broader allegations still disputed by Weinstein, and the remaining convictions doing the legal work from here. The next meaningful development will come from the court’s handling of the New York sentencing request and how it interacts with Weinstein’s continuing California punishment.
The Stakes
- The dismissal narrows Weinstein’s remaining New York legal exposure tied to Jessica Mann’s allegation.
- The decision underscores the toll repeated testimony can take on accusers in high-profile sexual assault cases.
- The case remains a major marker in post-#MeToo prosecutions and debates over fair trial standards.
Primary Sources & Disclosures
Written by
XOOMAR Insights Team
Research and Editorial Desk
The XOOMAR Insights Team pairs automated research with human editorial judgment. We track hundreds of sources across technology, fintech, trading, SaaS, and cybersecurity, cross-check the facts, and explain what happened, why it matters, and what to watch next. We do not just rewrite headlines. Every article is fact-checked and scored for reliability before it goes live, and we link back to the original sources so you can verify anything yourself.










